· Develops course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, lab exercises, and presentations prior to scheduled course times. Works with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
· Organizes instruction in classrooms and laboratories as evidenced by adequate and clearly stated course outlines, learning objectives, learning outcomes, lesson plans, competency assessments, and instructional materials such as textbooks, instruction sheets, and/or electronic resources available.
· Posts and maintains on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
· Maintains and submits accurate student grades and attendance records in accordance with institutional policies and established deadlines.
· Helps students to achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
· Responsible for follow-up data of students within the assigned program(s) of instruction such as student completions, graduate job placement and student retention rates ensuring compliance with accrediting agencies and institutional standards.
· Continually monitor follow-up data from student completers, employers and advisory board committees in order to evaluate information for continual quality improvement and program effectiveness.
· Remains current in academic or program discipline, including attending professional conferences, and maintaining licensure, certification, or continuing education requirements where appropriate.
· Receives training or stays current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
· Attends and participates at all commencement ceremonies.
· Attends departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
· Participates in college professional development activities.
· Participates in local business and industry activities where appropriate.
· Mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
· Utilizes advisory committee(s) to ensure that desirable, relevant, and current practices of the occupation are being taught.
· Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
Physical Requirements / Efforts:
In order to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, all employees are asked to read and acknowledge the information below:
· Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
· Travels to and from locations off campus for instructional purposes as needed for the program.
· Reach, stoop, kneel, and crouch as required for filing and storage of office supplies and other work-related equipment.
· Lift and move items weighing up to 20 pounds.
· Meeting the essential duties and responsibilities of this position is expected to require at least 40 hours a week on average maintaining a physical presence on campus. In some instances, this includes work on and off campus during the contract period. Much of faculty work occurs at designated times each week (such as classes, office hours, meetings, etc.). However, the workload of a professional educator at the college level requires that the hours a faculty member fulfills their non-scheduled responsibilities will be based on effective communication and approval from one’s supervisor. Since the college offers learning opportunities seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day, and because in certain instances faculty work can be accomplished off campus, an 8 to 5, Monday through Friday schedule may be impractical. Therefore, in these instances and upon approval by the instructor’s assigned supervisor, a typical faculty member may have a work schedule which vary from semester to semester (scheduled responsibilities) and week to week (non-scheduled responsibilities) to best accommodate student learning, professional development, and service to the college.
Reasonable accommodations may be requested and made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties.
· Three years of work experience and/or licensure or certifications in associated field(s), aligning with instructional minimum qualifications identified by the institutional accrediting agency, may be considered upon review and approval by the position hiring manager.
· Experience using Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Blackboard, Canvas, Joule, etc. is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Adheres to all laws pertaining to disclosure of student records.
· Adheres to all applicable Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS) and SOWELA Technical Community College policies.
· Be available to students via email, phone, and/or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
· Thorough knowledge of skillsets and competencies relevant to the program(s) of instruction.
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and written, at all levels.
· Ability to use the internet and computer software program(s) for instructional tasks, organization of records, assessment methods, and internal/external communication.
· Ability to safeguard sensitive and confidential information from intentional or unintentional disclosure.
· Ability to make independent decisions demonstrating good judgment.
· Demonstrates professional work ethic expectations (appearance, attendance, teamwork, promptness, cooperation, etc.).
· Projects a professional attitude towards other faculty, staff and students.
· Facilitates student learning, provides effective instruction, and performs evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes.
· Maintains current standard reference books, periodicals, and manuals of a business, professional, technical, and industrial nature to facilitate the educational program objectives.
· Cooperates and collaborates with other agencies to promote technical and community college education.
· Maintains a safe and secure classroom/lab environment conducive to effective learning.
· Ensures all instructional equipment and supplies meet safety standards.
· Requests adequate equipment and supplies in a timely manner to support program instruction.
Employment Type: Regular