We are searching for an experienced Tutor at our Oakdale Campus.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Works with SOWELA students to help improve their technical skills. This person must be able to work and provide own transportation to and from the campus. This student will work as a team member to help students with critical learning skills. This position assists students in improving academic achievement, supports students by reviewing and clarifying learning problems, and provides useful study skills to students that need supplemental help. Additionally, peer tutors provide subject-area knowledge and serve as a model for students in the techniques, strategies, attitudes, and beliefs that successful learners employ as they acquire new knowledge, solve problems, and complete academic tasks. Other assistance might include reviewing class material, discussing text, reviewing test questions, generating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepare for tutoring sessions by reviewing any notes, handouts, and/or bookwork, if available.
· Be punctual, begin all sessions promptly, use time for academic tasks, and focus on the student’s needs.
· Check-in and sign out all students coming in for tutoring appointments through the center Kiosk system.
· Participate in the CRLA training certification program through the Office of Student Services.
· Complete bi-weekly timesheets.
· Maintain absolute confidentiality with regard to academic progress and/or personal information concerning students.
· Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
· To encourage student independence.
· To give all tutees respect, honest feedback and encouragement.
· To be on time for all sessions and notify Student Services staff of schedule changes within 24 hours.
· To come prepared for tutoring sessions.
· To review tutoring goals with the tutee.
· To suggest appropriate learning strategies and study tips.
· To keep consistent, accurate and updated paperwork.
· To maintain student confidentiality.
· To attend all tutor training sessions.
· To utilize available resources and materials.
· To maintain a welcoming, professional learning environment.
· To share any concerns with immediate supervisor.
· High School Diploma or GED (unless special authorization is given).
· An A or B grade in the course(s) to be tutored, exempt from the course, or an instructor recommendation.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to work in a collaborative, team environment with both small and large groups.
· Ability to work with a diverse, non-traditional, and traditionally underserved population.
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and written.
· Proven ability to present a positive image for the College, maintain professional demeanor, provide effective customer service, and made good decisions.
Employment Type: Regular
Contract Length: 12-month
Our company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or